Issue 223 is now on sale
This issue we bring you some exciting new regular features, which put the spotlight on Britain’s heritage crafts, national treasures and most scenic rural tours
Our revamped landscape guide now takes the form of a tour and this issue you can plot your way around Cornwall’s Tin Coast via nine points of interest, from the Atlantic outpost of Land’s End to the geological gem of Porthmeor Cove. Meanwhile our back page will now be home to a different national treasure each issue; this time we unearth the stories behind the Alfred Jewel, which remarkably was once given away free with a book.
We will also be celebrating British craftsmanship with a series of features showcasing heritage crafts. First up is stonemason Andrew Ziminski, who tells us how he carved out a career restoring the likes of Salisbury Cathedral and the Roman Baths in Bath. Happy reading!
Also inside the issue:
- Delve into Britain’s greatest rivalries, from Henry VIII versus the Catholic Church to the Beatles versus the Stones
- Join us for a guided tour along Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, the most famous thoroughfare in Scotland
- Explore the uplifting story of heiress Dido Belle at London’s Kenwood House, from being born into slavery to her pioneering position among Georgian high society
- Discover Britain’s lesser-known saints, who left behind a puzzle of legends and relics that are just waiting to be solved
- Admire original pottery factories and classic designs in Stoke-on-Trent, as the British Ceramics Biennial begins
- Visit the relaxing Victorian spa town of Harrogate
- Go beneath Wilton House’s facade to find out the architectural history of this Wiltshire stately home
- Meet Kate Humble, TV presenter and author, as she describes her idyllic lifestyle living on a small holding in Monmouthshire
- Win a Scottish highlands adventure to the awe-inspiring Lochaber onboard the Caledonian Sleeper train
Buy your copy of issue 223 (August/September 2021) here (available from 9 July) or subscribe online to have Discover Britain delivered direct to your door six times a year.