Issue 213, our relaxing Britain special, is now on sale
From Bath to Buxton, we take a leaf out of the Romans’ book and learn how the British became fans of lazy pursuits in our relaxing Britain special, out now.
As it is getting increasingly colder outside, it is time to put your feet up and enjoy this new edition of Discover Britain. We have a bit of a theme of relaxation, beginning with our Relax like a Roman feature. It is a little-known fact that it took Emperor Claudius’s invasion of 43 AD before we as a nation learned to unwind and developed a taste for spas, theatres and all things leisure. We also ask how the country’s spa towns developed into the much-loved destinations of today.
Elsewhere in the issue, Martha Alexander goes in search of peace, quiet and local histories as she seeks out six of Britain’s most fascinating and forgotten small islands, plus we have chosen five great wintry escapes – hotels and B&Bs that you will just love to hibernate in.
ALSO INSIDE THE ISSUE:
- Auckland Castle’s reopening spills all on Britain’s little-known Prince-Bishops from the northeast
- We tour literary Edinburgh, the city that gave us Harry Potter and Sherlock Holmes
- Explore Kensington Palace and Gardens, Queen Victoria’s birthplace
- Meet Nancy Astor, Britain’s first female MP in the House of Commons
- Get a taste of Highland life as we put our best foot forward in Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park
- Put these dates in your diary: We’ve planned your London year and filled it with parades, festivals and royal events
- Visit Britain’s “second city” with our guide to Birmingham
- Win a stay in quaint Shakespeare Country in a beautiful black-and-white-timbered hotel. Enter here.
Pick up the latest issue from our online store today to read all these stories and more.