Yeoman Warders receive new uniform to mark King Charles III’s reign
To mark the new reign of King Charles III, the Tower of London’s Yeoman Warders, often known as ‘Beefeaters’, have received new uniforms
The Yeoman Warders were first created in 1485 by King Henry VII and were originally part of the Yeoman of the Guard – the monarch’s personal bodyguard. Henry VII decided that the Tower of London should be protected by members of his own personal bodyguard, and the Yeoman Warders were made.
Today, there are 35 Yeoman Warders at the Tower of London, men and women. To qualify for the role you must have served at least 22 years in the Armed Forces, hold the Long Service and Good Conduct medal, and have reached the rank of Warrant Officer or equivalent, before being invited for interview and a rigorous selection process.
As well as guarding the tower and taking part in ceremonies and traditions, including guarding the monarch himself on request, the Yeoman Warders conduct tours of the Tower, welcoming visitors, and sharing stories of its 1,000 year history.
Their famous colourful uniforms were first brought in in 1552, and it was Queen Elizabeth I who decided to have the Sovereign’s initials embroidered on the State Dress, from 1570.
To mark our new monarch, visitors to the tower will now see the Yeoman Warders wearing their uniforms with the cypher ‘CIIIR’ meaning, Charles III Rex.
The new uniforms are part of a series of changes that Historic Royal Palaces are making at the site. These also include the renaming of The King’s House (formerly known as Queen’s House), and the addition of the new royal cypher at the entrance to the Jewel House, as well as on sentry boxes across the site.
A selection of the previous uniforms featuring the former ‘EIIR’ cypher, for Queen Elizabeth II, will now be kept in the Historic Royal Palaces’ archives and preserved for generations to come.
The Tower of London also have a special Crown Jewels exhibition this summer to mark King Charles III’s Coronation. Find out more about it here.
The Garrison Chapel and the Prince’s Foundation: The King and us