Queen quiz – the answers
1. What happened in 1936 that changed the course of the Queen’s life?
In 1936, King Edward VIII abdicated and Elizabeth’s father, the Duke of York, became King George VI.
2. When asked what name she would adopt as Queen, what did Elizabeth answer?
“My own name, of course.”
3. On 9 September 2015 the Queen became the longest reigning monarch in British history, but whom did she leave in second place?
Queen Elizabeth II surpassed the previous record set by her great-great-grandmother, Queen Victoria.
4. What did the Queen do during the Second World War?
At 18, Elizabeth joined the Women’s Auxiliary Territorial Service where she trained as a mechanic and military truck driver. She is the only female member of the royal family to have served in the armed forces.
5. Can our sovereign change a spark plug?
Yes, she can and she is reportedly the only British monarch in history to be trained for the task.
6. HRH Princess Elizabeth married Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten in 1947, but who designed her wedding dress?
Sir Norman Hartnell.
7. How many children does the Queen have? And how many grandchildren?
The Queen has four children, eight grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
8. What was the name of Her Majesty’s first corgi?
The Queen’s first corgi, Susan, was a gift for her 18th birthday and the first in a long line of corgis.
9. Which year was the Queen’s annus horribilis? And why?
The Queen’s annus horribilis, or horrible year, was 1992 when the Princess Royal and Captain Phillips divorced, the Prince and Princess of Wales and the Duke and Duchess of York separated and there was a catastrophic fire at Windsor Castle.
10. Elizabeth II is known for her fabulous hats, but in what situation does she refuse to wear one?
When she is horse riding – she tends to wear a headscarf.